Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Starting back with a new PR

Its been 2 weeks since the B2B and I am happy to report that I have only done one workout over the last 2 weeks. I did a 30 min run last week then nothing. I really took the whole rest and recuperation idea to the max. I ate what I wanted and just took it easy. I have to admit, it was really nice.

My two weeks ended on Monday with a 3 mile run. I just wanted to stretch my legs and try out my new shoes. It was an easy day and it felt good to get out and run. I am planning 4 runs a week, about 16-18 miles, until after Christmas. This should be a nice "off-season" to just enjoy my running without all the craziness of extra workouts and increasing mileage. Until Christmas, its just about having some fun.

The New PR - I did my Tom workout tonight at the track. We were running 3, 4, or 5 miles using an alternating pace every 400m - I was in the 3 mile group. We were to run 2:10/400m and 1:55/400m throughout the entire run. The 2:10 was to be the recovery pace. I did not do the math in my head before we took off but that pace was faster than my best 5K. I really did not realize it until we were 6 laps or 1.5 miles into the run. By then I was doing the math in my head and my scheduled 12 laps was only 200m short of 5000m and I should finish the 12 laps in around 24:30, well ahead of my 5K PR. Now it was all about the time for me, the hell with the workout - I was after the PR. I finished my 12 laps in 24:37 and just kept on going for the extra 200m. I was breathing hard and my heart rate was in zone 4 (175 bpm) - only 200m to go. I finished in 25:45. That is 29 seconds faster than my old PR. It was a nice way to start December.

No comments:

Post a Comment