Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My first marathon plan

I am in training for my first marathon. I completed the Battleship ½ Marathon on November 1, 2009 and have decided to try a full one. My marathon of choice is the Quintiles Wrightsville Beach Marathon, March 21, 2010. The choice was actually very easy for several reasons. First – my coach – Tom Clifford of Without Limits Running (www.withoutlimitsrunning.com) is the race director so I get the inside info on all the goings on and I hope this will help me get through the miles. Secondly, the race is local. The race start is a 5 min drive from my house and I am training on some of the same roads the race is on, a real home field advantage. Third – talk about flat! The course is flat, flat, real flat. For those who live in hill country, the biggest hill on the course will be crossing the bridge over the Inter-coastal waterway. Last but not least – I want to say I have done a marathon and you get to put the 26.2 sticker on your car! (Yes - I know it’s a childish reason but what are you going to do)



I have put together a training plan based on several online plans and from Tom’s input. My long run this past weekend was a 10 miler and I will slowly ramp up to a 22-23 mile run in the middle of February.



In triathlon news – Setup Events (www.setupevents.com) posted the 2010 schedule for the North Carolina Triathlon Series today. I am now working on my schedule to see how many to try and fit in and finalize my 2010 tri goals. I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment